Monday, September 14, 2009

Yoga, QiGong DVD review for runners

I asked my fellow half marathon runners on TWITTER what they did to combat the low level fatigue that I am experiencing as I train for my upcoming Marine Corps Half Marathon.

Their answers ranged from funny to inspired - one suggested not running as much, another suggested coffee, a third recommended massage, as tension gathers in her shoulders when she runs long.

I have found that Yoga and Qigong work for me. These exercises are good for my crosstraining days or any time I want to slow down, breathe deeply and relax my busy mind and tired body.

DVD Review: Yoga For Athletes with Barbara Benagh

I was overwhelmed in a good way by the number of different routines on this DVD! I am a runner, so I tried several of the running yoga routines, but there are routines for cycling, hiking, and many other sports I enjoy.

Runners can do the yoga poses and routines on this DVD to help stretch any tight, stiff muscles on crosstraining days. I would recommend this DVD for runners.

Qigong for Cleansing with Francesco Garripoli and Daisy Lee Garripoli

I am interested in Qigong but not very coordinated so I thought I would never be able to have my own routine. My dream is to be able to do a routine in the park, like the San Franciscans in Chinatown do in the mornings. Qigong for Cleansing was a useful video because Francesco and Daisy Lee patiently explained and demonstrated the moves, and then put them all together into a 9 minute routine at the end of the lesson. I think with enough practice I can master this simple routine.

What do you do to relieve stress during hard training periods?

Follow me on Twitter - Click Here

Most Read Posts:

How to use a running log
- Click Here

Healthful At Work Snacks for Runners - Click Here

How to Find New Running Routes in your Community
- Click Here

Are you training to run a half marathon? Click here to get free nutrition and training tips by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment