Monday, September 14, 2009

Yoga, QiGong DVD review for runners

I asked my fellow half marathon runners on TWITTER what they did to combat the low level fatigue that I am experiencing as I train for my upcoming Marine Corps Half Marathon.

Their answers ranged from funny to inspired - one suggested not running as much, another suggested coffee, a third recommended massage, as tension gathers in her shoulders when she runs long.

I have found that Yoga and Qigong work for me. These exercises are good for my crosstraining days or any time I want to slow down, breathe deeply and relax my busy mind and tired body.

DVD Review: Yoga For Athletes with Barbara Benagh

I was overwhelmed in a good way by the number of different routines on this DVD! I am a runner, so I tried several of the running yoga routines, but there are routines for cycling, hiking, and many other sports I enjoy.

Runners can do the yoga poses and routines on this DVD to help stretch any tight, stiff muscles on crosstraining days. I would recommend this DVD for runners.

Qigong for Cleansing with Francesco Garripoli and Daisy Lee Garripoli

I am interested in Qigong but not very coordinated so I thought I would never be able to have my own routine. My dream is to be able to do a routine in the park, like the San Franciscans in Chinatown do in the mornings. Qigong for Cleansing was a useful video because Francesco and Daisy Lee patiently explained and demonstrated the moves, and then put them all together into a 9 minute routine at the end of the lesson. I think with enough practice I can master this simple routine.

What do you do to relieve stress during hard training periods?

Follow me on Twitter - Click Here

Most Read Posts:

How to use a running log
- Click Here

Healthful At Work Snacks for Runners - Click Here

How to Find New Running Routes in your Community
- Click Here

Are you training to run a half marathon? Click here to get free nutrition and training tips by email.

1 comment:

  1. Recognized as one of the finest Yoga retreats in the world, sivanandabahamas is dedicated to promoting the authentic spiritual tradition of Yoga, in an environment normally associated with an exclusive star hotel. We endeavour to embody the spiritual tradition of Athithi devo Bhava (serving the Guest as an embodiment of the Divine) and the staff at sivanandabahamas are trying to practice all facets of Yoga in their daily lives. At sivanandabahamas, you get a unique insight into Yoga, irrespective of whether you are a beginner or have practiced for many years.

    sivanandabahamas is situated in bahamas where the emphasis is to live an ashram style life (daily yoga, meditation sessions, chanting classes, organic vegetarian food, no alcohol, community service, farming etc.) in private, serene and "simply" luxurious accommodation and facilities. In a typical Yoga Retreat, guests practice different facets of Yoga - for physical strength, balance and flexibility, for physiological & therapeutic benefits and if they are interested, for pursuing a spiritual path through various types of meditation.
    yoga retreat

    ReplyDelete