Friday, September 18, 2009

Pickle juice an effective remedy for running cramps

Sports Nutritionist Nancy Clark, MS, RD reports on two interesting tricks to improve performance in the article ‘Sports Nutrition News from the American College of Sports Medicine' at beginnertriathelete.com.

Should I Drink Gatorade During Long Runs?

Clark states that the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) found that after rinsing their mouths for five seconds with a sports drink, fasting athletes were able to run 365 meters longer in the time trial.

I sometimes skip water stations during long races if I feel too hydrated (water sloshing in my tummy), but if swishing Gatorade and spitting it out will possibly improve my endurance, I might give it a try.

Best Cure for Muscle Cramps


ACSM also found that about 25% of athletic trainers use pickle juice to treat muscle cramps. Apparently ingesting 1 to 2 ounces of pickle juice relieves cramps within 35 seconds.

Have you tried pickle juice for cramps? I would see a market for selling a packet of pickle juice similar to the packets of energy gel on the market if this is a proven remedy. I wonder if this includes diaphragm cramps as well.

Most Read Posts:

My top way to stick to your training schedule - Tips for using a running log
- Click Here

List of best at-work snacks for Runners - Click Here

What is the best percentage of protein, carbohydrate and fat in a long distance runners diet? Click Here

Are you training to run a half marathon? Click here to get free nutrition and training tips by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment