Thursday, April 16, 2009

Should runners drink caffeine before races?

Gina Kolata explores the effects of caffeine on racing performance in the New York Times article ‘It’s Time to Make a Coffee Run.’ Dr. Mark Tarnopolsky of McMaster University in Canada explains that there is overwhelming evidence that caffeine has positive effect on running performance. Caffeine releases calcium that is stored in muscle and effects the brains perception of exhaustion.

I do not regularly drink caffeine, so when I do I tend to feel jittery. I may try to incorporate caffeine into my pre workout routines in the final training week before a race, so I my body will be accustomed to the caffeine on race day.

Have you tried adding caffeine to your pre workout or pre race nutrition?

Related article:
Why runners should drink Gatorade - even during short workouts and races
http://albanyrunner.blogspot.com/2009/04/why-runners-should-drink-gatorade-even.html

No comments:

Post a Comment