Thursday, April 2, 2009

How I train for 5K and 10K races in Albany, NY

Hello, my name is Kathleen Lisson.

I started running again at 34 when I joined Best Fitness in Albany. After jogging on the treadmill for a month or so, I felt that I would get more out of exercise if I had a goal. I chose to shoot for running a 10K race this summer. Though I had been on my cross country and track team in high school, I needed more training guidance, so I turned to the internet to find a proper training schedule for training for a 10K race.

I was very fortunate to find Hal Higdon’s website. Higdon, one of the founders of the Road Runners Club of America (RRCA), is a Runner's World contributor, author of the best-selling Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide, ran eight times in the Olympic Trials and won four world masters championships.

Higdon offers sample training programs for several different distances, including 5K, 8K, 10K, 15K, half marathon, and a marathon training program for experienced runners that can only run 3 times per week.

I completed Higdon’s 10K novice program, which is available here: http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

I am now working my way through the Intermediate program, available here: http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kinter.htm

I like Higdon’s training plans because he gives advice on resting, tempo runs, speedwork, proper warming up before running, how to incorporate stretching and strength exercises into running training, what types of cross training will benefit runners and how to run long runs.

What 5K or 10K training plan are your following?

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the NY running guide, "Fun on Foot in New York," by Warwick Ford and Nola Ford? I have come across many ppl who are using this guide in with their marathon training. Personally, I think the way they mapped everything out was pretty clever.

    ReplyDelete