Wednesday, October 7, 2009

How to find out the number of calories you should eat per day for runners

Step 1: Visit the USDA Food Pyramid website to calculate the number of calories you need every day based on height, weight and amount of exercise:
http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx

My number is 1,800 calories per day.

Step 2: Take that number and plug it into Antonio Zamora’s Macronutrient calculator:
http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/macronutrients.html

As a long distance runner, I eat a diet that is 60 percent carbohydrates, 20 percent protein and 20 percent fats.

Based on an 1,800 calories per day diet, I should be eating:

90 grams of protein
295 grams of carbohydrate
40 grams of fat

I try to get my protein from non-fat dairy products so I also consume my target of 1,000 mg of calcium per day. I eat carbohydrates from the legume, fruit and vegetable and whole grains sections of the food pyramid. I try to make all my fats come from vegetable sources, like peanut butter, almonds, avocados, flaxseed meal and olive oil.

How do you use your numbers to plan your diet?

Most Read Posts:

My top way to stick to your training schedule - Tips for using a running log
- Click Here

List of best at-work snacks for Runners - Click Here

What is the best percentage of protein, carbohydrate and fat in a long distance runners diet? Click Here

Are you training to run a half marathon? Click here to get free nutrition and training tips by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment