Monday, June 2, 2014

Why Do People Climb Mountains?


Flying Carpets and Jonathan Livingston Seagull

By Kathleen Lisson

I was listening to NPR on my way to a dayhike in the Shawangunk mountains recently, and caught a reading of Steven Millhauser’s “Flying Carpets” in an episode of the SELECTED SHORTS program “Wish Fulfillment,” hosted by Parker Posey.


Flying Carpets is the story of a boy who explores his boundaries by using a flying carpet. Being on my way to a practice hike for my upcoming trip to summit Mount Kilimanjaro, this story became very relevant. 

Unlike most of the boys who stayed under their mothers' watchful eyes in the backyard, I am taking my 'flying carpet' WAY out into the blue this July.

The boy decides that flying high and far is not for him, and his carpet ends up in the cellar.

But what if he DID go into the blue?

This story reminds me of a book my mother had in her library when I was a child 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull.'
Watch Ariel Bissett review Jonathan Livingston Seagull here: http://youtu.be/khvC_g3dBqk


Here is a quote from the book: “Why, Jon, why?" his mother asked. "Why is it so hard to be like the rest of the flock, Jon? Why can't you leave low flying to the pelicans, the albatross? Why don't you eat? Son, you're bone and feathers!" "I don't mind being bone and feathers mom. I just want to know what I can do in the air and what I can't, that's all. I just want to know.”


Find out more about Flying Carpets here: http://www.wnyc.org/story/flying-carpets/

No comments:

Post a Comment