Thursday, June 5, 2014

Tips from Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook



Tips from Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

By Kathleen Lisson

Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

I chose Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook as the book I took with me on the plane ride to the Junior League Annual Convention in St. Louis. 

Wow, was this book a treasure trove of information. Here is the first tidbit I wrote down:



Eat a Wide Variety of Foods




Page 4 of the book brought a challenge to write down 35 different types of foods that I eat in a given week. It took a few minutes to complete my list and I began to realize that it would take a thoughtful effort to ensure that I brought all these nutritious foods to my diet.



Occasionally I will find myself in a ‘food rut,’ consuming the same cereal night after night or pasta and pesto for lunch several times a week. The key takeaway I found was – Diversity!



I will rotate the vegetables and fruits I use in my smoothies and eat more colorful salads.



My food list is:



Almond, apple, asparagus, avocado, banana, black beans, blueberries, bok choy, broccoli, carrot, celery, chia, cod, corn, cottage cheese, edemame, egg, garbanzo beans, green beans, kale, kidney beans, lemon, melon, milk, mint, oats, onions, orange, pear, peanut butter, peas, pineapple, popcorn, quinoa, rice, salmon, strawberries, spinach, sprouts, tofu, tuna, tomatoes, walnuts, watermelon, yogurt and zucchini. 





Nancy Clark has a great tip for using all-natural peanut butter. If the peanut butter separates into oil and solid, just store the jar upside down. 

Here is a review from Linda S. Caley, MS, RD, CEDR on Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook: http://blog.nancyclarkrd.com/2014/03/12/book-review-nancy-clarks-sports-nutrition-guidebook-5th-edition-2014/

No comments:

Post a Comment