Friday, November 20, 2009

Training Diet - How Runners Shop for Food in a Grocery Store


In ‘Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook,’ Clark recommends choosing foods in their natural state rather than heavily processed foods.

For me that means shopping mostly on the outer aisles of the supermarket. I like to start by choosing organic fruits and vegetables from the produce section, whole grain tortillas and flatbread for pizzas, fat free cheese and organic yogurt, organic milk and eggs, and frozen fruits and vegetables.

I dip into the aisles in the middle of the supermarket for whole grains, choosing old fashioned oatmeal and brown rice as well as whole wheat pasta. I also get canned organic tomatoes and beans, as well as extra virgin olive oil.

The best learning experience I have had is educating myself on how to fix tasty vegetable dishes. I love sauteed kale, brussel sprouts with apple, and roasted bell peppers. Another treat is an heirloom tomato sliced with a little salt and olive oil and a few leaves of basil.

How do you shop for groceries? Do you have a vegetable recipe to share?


Most Read Posts:

My top way to stick to your training schedule - Tips for using a running log
- Click Here

List of best at-work snacks for Runners - Click Here

What is the best percentage of protein, carbohydrate and fat in a long distance runners diet? Click Here

Are you training to run a half marathon? Click here to get free nutrition and training tips by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment