Monday, November 30, 2009

Best Running Diet Tips Using the USDA Food Pyramid


I used the USDA food pyramid to figure out what kind of balance I should have in my diet.

As an athlete that runs, I need at least 1600 calories every day. I try to get at least the following servings of food every day:

1 and a half cups of fruit in my morning smoothie.
2 and a half cups of vegetables in my lunch and dinner sauces or side dishes.
6 ounces of whole grains. One ounce is a slice of bread or a half cup cooked pasta or rice or oatmeal.
3 cups of organic fat free milk or yogurt. An ounce an a half of natural cheese equals a cup serving.
5 portions of beans. An ounce of beans, one egg, a tbsp of peanut butter or a half ounce of nuts equals a portion.


To get more vegetables in my diet, I bring a a ziploc baggie or plastic container full of cherry tomatoes, radishes, carrots, bell pepper strips and dried plums to work to snack on in the afternoon.

How do you plan your meals to ensure you are eating protein, whole grains and fruits/veggies?

Most Read Posts:

My top way to stick to your training schedule - Tips for using a running log
- Click Here

List of best at-work snacks for Runners - Click Here

What is the best percentage of protein, carbohydrate and fat in a long distance runners diet? Click Here

Are you training to run a half marathon? Click here to get free nutrition and training tips by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment