Monday, August 31, 2009

Easy Snack Foods and Side Dishes for Runners



I’ll first suggest the easiest foods that every runner knows – banana, apple, hard boiled egg, instant bean soup, handful of nuts (I keep a big container of almonds on my desk). Pictured is a container of sliced orange and yellow bell peppers with a single serve container of hummus.

I am in love with Oikos Greek yogurt. 5 ounces contains 80 calories, 20% of the calcium I need, 15 grams protein, 6 grams of carbohydrates and no fat. I mix in fresh berries.

I also love plain fat free organic yogurt. I will buy a large container and portion it out with frozen berries for an anytime snack.

I am enjoying the loaf of hemp bread I got from Uncle Sam’s Health Food, a natural foods store in Troy. It is a mouthful to eat and not sweet, but works well in a PBJ with a glass of soymilk. Jewish Rye is another bread I enjoy, it is low on the glycemic index.

Especially since I have started training for the half marathon, I feel lousy if I eat a “bad” meal on a running day. To make staying on the training diet easier for me, I do the majority of my week’s cooking on Sunday, so I have lunches and snacks for the week.

I am a big fan of eating low on the glycemic index. I picked up a recipe for
Bean Salad from one of Dr. Perricone’s books a few years ago. I combine kidney beans, garbanzo beans, garlic, red onion and scallions and dress it with apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Yummy, healthful and a convenient food to go in a smaller plastic container for a snack at work. I made a big bowl of this on Sunday and will portion it out for use during the week.

What are your favorite snack foods?



Most Read Posts:

How to use a running log
- Click Here

Healthful At Work Snacks for Runners - Click Here

How to Find New Running Routes in your Community
- Click Here

Are you training to run a half marathon? Click here to get free nutrition and training tips by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment