Friday, August 28, 2009

Clove Run 15K Race Report

Last weekend’s Clove Run in Castleton, NY was my first encounter with running a race in hot, humid conditions.

I started off slow and made sure to walk through the water stops, drinking at each one, but still found myself dealing with cramping under my ribcage. Walking for 15 – 30 seconds allowed the cramp to resolve, but cramping returned if I ran at a sub 10 minute mile pace.

I was also distracted by the sloshing sound of water in my stomach. I missed the sign for mile 9 so the last mile of the race was confusing and a mental battle of the will. I came in 52nd, with a time of 1:35:34 and a pace of 10:16 minutes per mile. This time was a full 5 minutes off of my Boilermaker PR.

What do you do when a race is in hot, humid conditions?


Are you training to run a half marathon? Click here to get free nutrition and training tips by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment