Monday, May 18, 2009

How much protein should a runner eat per day?

This is the question I have been asking myself ever since I have started lifting weights and my runs have gotten close to an hour in duration. According to the April 2009 newsletter of GI news, the official glycemic index newsletter, Dr. Garry Egger recommends that athletes should consume up to 3g per kg of body weight per day – around 300 g (11 oz) for a 100 kg man – because of their extra muscular needs.

That translates to 150 grams for a 100 lb. woman
.

I try to keep to a low GI diet. My favorite carbohydrate foods are oatmeal, Barilla pasta and whole wheat bread.

How much protein do you consume per day? Do you consume protein immediately after your workouts?


Want to run faster? Click here to get free running and nutrition tips by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment