Thursday, May 22, 2014

Snacks and Hydration Advice for Hiking at High Altitudes

Snacks and Hydration Advice for Hiking at High Altitudes

By Kathleen Lisson

In the article ‘Kilimanjaro Nutrition: STRATEGIES FOR HIKING,’ Mia Ballenden, an Accredited Practicing Dietician and Nutritionist who specializes in sports dietetics, shares information on hypoxia. I did not know that starting on the second day of my Kilimanjaro hike, the lower levels of oxygen in my body will alter my fat vs. carbohydrate usage as well as the fluid balance in my body. Ballenden suggests bringing:


  • “Energy dense snacks for your day pack such as dried fruit, nuts and chocolate,
  • Spices to make foods more palatable”

Ballenden recommends “finding a system that reminds you to drink all day like a camelback, a flask with warm water or flavoured water.”

I am going to start sampling different types of sports drink powders to add to my Nalgene bottle on my weekend hikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment