Thursday, May 29, 2014

Adirondak Loj and Wilderness Campground at Heart Lake

Where to camp in the Adirondacks near Lake Placid, Mount Marcy


by Kathleen Lisson

Let's get the conflict of interest out of the way - I am a member of ADK.

I just loved camping at the Wilderness Campground at Heart Lake on Memorial Day weekend. My husband and I wanted to hike the Adirondack High Peaks and test our camping gear for our upcoming trip to Kilimanjaro. 

We drove up after work on Friday and camped in tent space #7, which was close to a water spigot and the washrooms. 

My tips:


  • Book breakfast in advance, when you reserve your campsite. This was the best part of the vacation for me! 
  • Shower after you finish your hike. Women were complaining about cold water in the morning. 
  • DO choose a trail lunch. The Marcy bars are amazing! 
  • If you have a shorter hiking day and will be back before 7 p.m., make a reservation for dinner at the Loj. 
  • If you will be hiking later, you can make dinner at your campsite (observe bear precautions) or shower and drive to Lake Placid for dinner. 
  • Visit the great room / living room at the Loj to plan your hikes every morning. I love the atmosphere. 



No comments:

Post a Comment