Where to camp in the Adirondacks near Lake Placid, Mount Marcy
by Kathleen Lisson
Let's get the conflict of interest out of the way - I am a member of ADK.
I just loved camping at the Wilderness Campground at Heart Lake on Memorial Day weekend. My husband and I wanted to hike the Adirondack High Peaks and test our camping gear for our upcoming trip to Kilimanjaro.
We drove up after work on Friday and camped in tent space #7, which was close to a water spigot and the washrooms.
- Book breakfast in advance, when you reserve your campsite. This was the best part of the vacation for me!
- Shower after you finish your hike. Women were complaining about cold water in the morning.
- DO choose a trail lunch. The Marcy bars are amazing!
- If you have a shorter hiking day and will be back before 7 p.m., make a reservation for dinner at the Loj.
- If you will be hiking later, you can make dinner at your campsite (observe bear precautions) or shower and drive to Lake Placid for dinner.
- Visit the great room / living room at the Loj to plan your hikes every morning. I love the atmosphere.