Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Indian Head / Twin Mountain Catskills Hiking Report

Catskill Hike Review - Indian Head and Twin


by Kathleen Lisson

I hiked in the Catskills last weekend, climbing to the summit of Twin Mountain via the Jimmy Dolan Notch, then retracing my steps and hiking over Indian Head via the Long Path and Devil's Path. I paid a short visit to the Devil's Kitchen Lean-to before returning to the car.




My husband and I tried out our Kilimanjaro camping gear by staying overnight at North - South Lake Campground. We took a short evening hike from the campground to North Point. 

It was raining off and on that afternoon, so I had the chance to try out my wet weather gear. My system of waterproof pants and gaiters works quite well, and my sunhat and water resistant jacket were good enough protection in a light rain.

LL Bean Women's Gore-Tex Cresta Hikers, Leather 

LL Bean Women's Winter Walker Gaiters




I highly recommend North - South Lake campground. I love that my home in Troy is right in between the Catskills and Adirondacks. Mountains are only a few hours drive away, but the luxury of being at home means that I rarely get out of the house before 9 a.m. to hike. Being in a campground meant that I woke up with the birds at dawn and was in the car, ready to hike, by 8 a.m. The staff at North South Lake campground was friendly and the showers had warm water.

Catskill Hiker trip report on Indian Head and Twin - http://www.catskillhiker.net/Catskill35/peaks/indianhead.shtml

North / South Lake Campground - http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24487.html

No comments:

Post a Comment