Friday, July 17, 2009

Safety Tips for Women Runners

I am officially addicted to long road races! It took me about 48 hours after finishing the Boilermaker to choose my next race, and I'm back to training for the 15K!

I am planning to run the Castleton Kiwanis Clove Run on August 22. Proceeds benefit the local food pantry!

Are you training for a late summer or fall race too?

USA Track and Field presents a wealth of tips and motivations for training for a 5K at http://www.usatfadir.org/corptraining.htm

The most valuable information for every runner is in their “Finding the Time - and more...” section -- Safety Tips.

USATF recommends that runners DO let people know where you are going to be and how long you expect to be out, run with a partner, wear bright or reflective clothing, and run facing traffic.

I was on a work trip to Gouverneur earlier this week and stayed at the wonderful Lawrence Manor, a bed and breakfast. I told the owners the route I would be running and the time I would return, and I carried my cell phone with me in a pocket in my running shorts.


One of the hardest don’ts for ‘nice girls’ is the admonition to NEVER stop at a car that pulls over unless you know the occupants.


Please share your most valuable running safety tips in the comments section!

Want to run faster? Click here to get free running and nutrition tips by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment