Monday, July 13, 2009

Boilermaker 2009 Race Report and a primer on how to treat race day running injuries

I was so thrilled to complete this year's Boilermaker 15K in Utica last Sunday!

The race is a lot of fun. The race was so large I could not help but start off slow, which enabled me to finish strong. My 5K splits were: 31:59, 29:21 and 28:47 for a chip time finish of 1:30:06, which is only 6 seconds off of my goal of 90 minutes for 15K. I was the 238th runner of 581 in my age group, Females 35-39 and ran an average of a 9:40 mile. Not bad for a girl who has never run longer than 8 miles in her life!

I enjoyed the cheering crowds, but wish more spectators had cowbells. I love the sound of cowbells and they are easier for the crowd than constantly clapping and yelling. I was honored to see all the cyclists cheering by the sidelines, especially when the Tour de France was happening at the same time as the Boilermaker! I liked the fact that there were so many paramedics on the sidelines, ready to assist the runners, and the constant water stops made running easier and more enjoyable.

There was also ice available and popsicles, but I'm not sure how to handle either so I stuck with gulping water.

WebMD author Denise Mann offers advice on preventing and treating the most common running injuries in the article ‘Every runner's guide to preventing and treating 10 common pains.’

Injuries covered include runner’s knee, stress fractures, iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS), shin splints, Plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, muscle pulls, ankle sprains, dizziness and blisters.

I have an old friend in Iliotibial band syndrome. My right iliotibial band was injured in high school track practice and my left was injured while running a few years ago. I was surprised to learn that ITBS is responsible for as many as 80% of all overuse pains on marathon day.

My new orthotics prevented any Iliotibial injuries for me, but I still managed to bring on a blister in the instep of my right arch because I forgot to put extra padding in my sock before I started running.

Want to run faster? Click here to get free running and nutrition tips by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment