Friday, September 4, 2009

How to use ice to heal a running injury

Rest and Ice were my knee's best friends as I tried to take care of a sore knee this week. The day after I ran a hard 15K race, I bought a new pair of running shoes and switched from my summer sandals to closed toed shoes. Because of one or none of those factors, my knee started hurting when I walked. I cut a few miles off of my scheduled runs and made sure to ice my knee after each run. I also made sure to keep on doing my strength workouts. I was able to run 4.5 miles with the Albany Running Exchange without pain last night, so I think the rest and ice helped! I am back on track to run my half marathon next month.

Certified Athletic Trainer Amy Evilsizer discusses how to diagnose and treat leg muscle injuries in her Youtube video Treating Leg Muscle Injuries at Home. In part two she offers advice for treating these injuries with R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation).





Most Read Posts:

How to use a running log
- Click Here

Healthful At Work Snacks for Runners - Click Here

How to Find New Running Routes in your Community
- Click Here

Are you training to run a half marathon? Click here to get free nutrition and training tips by email.

No comments:

Post a Comment