Friday, August 1, 2014

Trail notes from Kilimanjaro Machame Route – Day 5


Trail notes from Kilimanjaro Machame Route – Day 5



 by Kathleen Lisson

I climbed Mt.Kilimanjaro with Serengeti Pride Safari in July 2014. Here are some tips from my hiking experience.

Karanga to Barafu

My temper got short and I had easily hurt feelings. Luckily, I had my husband to listen to my troubles and I realized it was a combination of altitude and being far away from home with new people around. 

The trail was hot and dusty. I took my time and made the final ascent quite slowly to not overwhelm myself. 

The mountaintop seems close from here! 

We slept and had dinner and tried to sleep again. I have been having vivid nightmares for a few nights now and sleep felt like a drug-induced state. 

We camped right at the end of the trail. The camp itself is long and uphill from the end of the trail. The hikers that made the trek to sign in at the rangers station found the additional walking quite discouraging, likely due to the altitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment