Saturday, June 7, 2014

More Tips from Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook

More Tips from Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook


Salad with multiple foods and food groups

by Kathleen Lisson




I started reading Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook on a flight to St. Louis for the Junior League Annual Convention. The first part of my review is here:



Here are some more tips I picked up:



Page 64 – If you are not hungry for breakfast, you ate too much the night before. 


This was a big A-HA moment for me. I have heard from so many people that they skip breakfast because they are not hungry. Cutting down on food late in the evening might put breakfast back on the table.



Page 101 – Redefine the word ‘snack’ to mean ‘meal.’ Nancy Clark is so right – the word snack (and treat) opens the gate for not-so-nutritious foods to sneak into my diet.  I wouldn’t eat two cups of chips for a “meal,” but as a “snack” it might be OK – just a snack, right? I will start to plan my snacks to include multiple food groups.



Page 106 offers advice for those who suffer from ‘snack attacks.’ My husband and I call this being “hangry” – hungry and angry. I also suffer from low blood sugar if I do not eat, which makes me reluctant and unable to make quality decisions. I will take Nancy Clark’s advice and eat BEFORE I get hungry if I am going to put myself in a situation where I forsee becoming hangry.

No comments:

Post a Comment