Monday, June 16, 2014

What is in a Perfect Mid-hike Snack?


What is in a Perfect Mid-Hike Snack?


By Kathleen Lisson

I am trying to hike both days every weekend to prepare for my expedition to Mount Kilimanjaro this July. 

With all the time hiking in the woods, I have begun to listen to my body more. If I feel a sudden tiredness mid-hike, it is for one of two reasons - either I'm hiking up an incline or I need a snack. I have found that a snack can be as simple as a bite or two of a cookie or bar. After a few minutes, my enthusiasm for the hike returns and I speed right back up with a smile on my face. 

Hiking has also improved a lot since I began using my Camelback instead of waiting until a 'water break' to drink.

I've covered the physical needs for refueling on a hike, but what about the emotional aspect? I recently went on an easy hike along the Shawangunk Ridge Trail. I stopped at a scenic overlook and tried a LemonZest Luna Bar. As I was sitting and watching the peaceful movement of Lake Awosting, the lemony taste reminded me of relaxing summer days, sipping lemonade and feeling the warm sun on my face. 

For a moment, all the stress of preparing for Mt. Kilimanjaro melted away and I was able to enjoy a moment of just looking at the trees and smelling the woods on the breeze.

I'm looking forward to enjoying more Luna bars on the trail and bringing them with me to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro this July. I'll need the reminder to take a moment to relax in the middle of my journey and enjoy the sights and smells around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment